Meet William Woods University Equestrian Color Breed Congress teams people and horses

William Woods Equestrian

October and November are busy months for William Woods University Equestrian students. From before the sun rises to long after it sets, there is hustle and bustle in every barn, riding ring and tack room. On top of their coursework and prepping for colder Missouri days to come, students and faculty prepare for several shows.

Of these included the Hunter Jumper Derby, Equestrian Showcase weekend, the U.S. National Arabian and Half Arabian Championship Horse Show, where William Woods University Judging teams made impressive scores, as well as the American Royal UPHA Championships in Kansas City and the Color Breed Congress in Tulsa from November 10-15 and during the same week.

The Color Breed Congress encompasses four separate breeds shows into one, including the Pinto Horse Association, Palomino Horse Breeders of America, Appaloosa Horse Club and American Buckskin Registry. Exhibitors from all over the country come to compete within breeds as well as against one another in the Champion of Champion Classes.

We asked a few riders showing at the 2015 Color Breed Congress what they were most excited about, and a few funny quirks about their horses:

equestrian student at 2015 Color Breed Congress

“I love the atmosphere of the show. Everyone is genuinely supportive and helpful and the show is very laid back while still being competitive.”
– Marissa Boster

Showing Zipper in Amateur Junior Hunter Under Saddle, Novice Amateur Hunter Under Saddle, Junior Amateur Ideal Pinto English, Nov am Equitation, Junior am Equitation, Junior am Discipline Rail English, Junior am Horsemanship, Nov am Western Pleasure.

student and horse winner
“Gracie absolutely loves attention and is often called a “flamingo” because she likes to stand with one leg held up. I love the atmosphere of being with other riders, trainers, horses, and professionals of all ages. The family atmosphere that WWU creates when we travel as a group to shows is just wonderful.”
– Ashley Bauer

Showing in the Pinto Horse Walk/Trot Amateur Classes of Hunt Seat Equitation, Hunter Under Saddle, Western Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, and Trail. Also will be showing Gracie in the Pinto Amateur Overo Color Halter Class.

bachelor in equestrian student with horse
“I am taking my personal horse. I am excited to see how far my horse and I have improved from last year.”
– Kristi Schones

Showing in Novice Youth Showmanship, Novice Youth Western Horsemanship, Novice Youth Trail, Novice Youth Western Pleasure, and Novice Youth Disciplined Rail Western.

equestrian student with horse wally
“One thing many people don’t know about Wally is how playful he is. I had the opportunity to take him home this summer and I caught him several times running laps around my pasture carrying branches that fell from the trees in his mouth that were sometimes so large they drug beside him as he ran.”
– Hannah Jacobsen

Showing ImA Cuervo Cowboy (aka Wally) in PtHA in the Amateur Novice division in: Showmanship, Hunt Seat Equitation, Hunter Under Saddle, Western Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, and Trail.

William woods equestrian students
“I am the most excited about competing and representing our school!”
– Whitney Joy (left)

Showing in Most Colorful at Halter, English and Western Showmanship, Hunter in Hand, Hunt Seat Equitation, Hunter Under Saddle, Western Horsemanship, Bareback Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, and Trail.

“I will have the best support system along side me no matter what happens. I love going and meeting new people that share the same love for the sport that we do, and I love making new memories with people, and making the most out of the opportunity that I’ve been given.”
– Maggie Matthews

Showing Duke in Overo Halter, Ideal Pinto Hus, Equitation, Novice Hus and Youth Senior Hus, and English Discipline Rail, and Showmanship and Horsemanship.

student with horse
“I love showing at Color Breed because it celebrates so many different breeds of horses! I also love to show with William Woods because I get to be surrounded by such an amazing support system.”
– Kelly Suntrup

Showing Junior as an all around, which means showing in Western Pleasure, Horsemanship, Showmanship, Hunter Under Saddle and Hunt Seat Eq.